Tower of Shadows, Chapter 1: Awesome! The Journey Begins.

March 28, 2012 — 85 Comments

Into the Shadows, Tyler Johnson (Battle for Wesnoth OST, GPL)

The party begins traveling to Altrin, which is about 2 days travel northeast of Wardhall. The morning mist is refreshing, and just before midday it burns away to showing great fluffy clouds moving overhead, creating a idyllic stroll through the thickening forest. The road here is well kept, and you appreciate it, as the surrounding woods appear thick and overgrown. Not in a threatening way, but you would rather not have to trek through it.

Adventurer banter suddenly comes to a halt when the party finds a suspiciously placed book in the middle of the road, opened, with pages down on the cobble and dirt. Klaus and Wallace immediately see another book a few meters down the road, surrounded by what is apparently… coins! Max, however, notices something else, or more specifically, someone else, through the trees: figures are moving back and forth on the road around the next bend.

Soon all of you are aware of the struggle ahead, as a sharp clang rings out, and you hear someone scream for a few seconds, until it turns into a sort of bubbling moan, and then silence…


So, the way I am going to handle this is by setting up comments as the chapter is published. I will have a comment at the top which is for out-of-character interaction: questions, clarifications of rules, etc. Additionally, as the chapter progresses from scene to scene, I will create a new comment, setting it up. If we try to keep all the replies in the comment where it belongs, I think we will have an easy time following the narrative.

Don’t worry! It may take some practice, but eventually we will get to the point where it makes sense and everyone knows what I am talking about. ^_^

Media

Frantic, Aleksi Aubry-Carlson (Battle for Wesnoth OST, GPL)

85 responses to Tower of Shadows, Chapter 1: Awesome! The Journey Begins.

  1. Upkeep Node
    First off, everyone has 50 gold pieces. That was the reward for the Chapter 0 adventure. This would be an excellent time to retcon you folks some armor!

    I am using Red Box currency rates, so Chainmail costs 40GP, and a Light Shield costs 10GP, so that is the most you can get. Post what you get here, and then I will update my party character sheet.

    Oh, I have a party character sheet: http://interi.org/complex/tower-of-shadows

    It is temp until I figure out a better way to do it, but I don’t have time to worry about that at the moment; we don’t even know what is going on around the bend!!!

    • It’s been quite a while since I’ve looked at equipment lists! I’ve forgotten nearly everything about the adventurer’s essentials (other than, say, water-purification tabamulets). Any suggestions?

      (I notice, also, that we seem to be short on ranged weapons, at least as described so far. Any problem with, as Vekkary dashes forward, we glimpse a pair of well-balanced knives on his belt?)

      • You may have two, but if you have more than one, you will count as being encumbered, Mister Not-Very-Brawny Fighter-Guy. Your choice. ^_^

        It costs 3GP per dagger.

        • O noes gamist rules-lawyer alert! I note that the Encumbrance box in the Weapons section (p12) *does* say “However, any weapon type you carry beyond your first two counts as a Heavy item.”

          Having so noted, I follow up with observing DM authority, taking my one-dagger-for-3GP, and liking it.

          • Beneath the encumbrance rule, which is on page 13, in the box title, “your starting weapon”:

            You start the game with a single type of weapon. This can be any weapon you can imagine, as long as you designate it under whichever category makes the most sense for it.

            Eventually by adventuring, defeating foes, or simply taking time to shop you can acquire other weapons. However, any weapon type you carry beyond your first two counts as a Heavy item.

            On page 12, the character sheet, it says:

            Every weapon after your first two counts as a Heavy item.

            The reason it says “type” in one place is because there is little reason to have multiple weapons in the same categories, mechanically (thematically, of course, may make sense). It is obvious that one cannot carry 8 swords without it being considered a Heavy item or three.

            It occurs to me that you are attempting to take advantage of a depth that isn’t present in this game. ^_^

            Daggers are light weapons that can also be used as ranged weapons, which of course are unavailable until retrieved.

    • Do you have a good reference for the different items we can purchase?

      Also- are we retcon’ing our weapons now, too?

      In any case- Max will be equipped with a composite bow made of elk horn, oak, and sinew. He’ll be wearing light armor of brown leather – say elk hide?

      Also- the OSH pdf says I start with an ‘exquisite cutting knife.’ Will be I be able to use this in combat or is it just for non-combat use? If I can use it in combat – can I just whip it out during a nimble attack or is there some penalty for switching from my bow?

      • You can use the weapon and armor list in the PDF, on pages 13 and 14. You can purchase other items as well, but I don’t have a list for ya. Just tell me what you are interested in, and I will give you a price.

        We are primarily retcon-ing that you folks prepared before leaving the fort. So feel free to figure out what kind of weapons and armor you want.

        Your bow and armor sounds cool. You may have your knife be a dagger, that is fine. That would give you a Ranged weapon, a Light weapon, and Light armor. With a Brawn bonus of 0, you are good, but anything beyond that will count as being encumbered.

        Nimble Attack is a focused attack, and “quick maneuvers like switching weapons, grabbing something, or using Awesome Points to recover damage are generally considered ‘free.’”

        So you are good. ^_^

    • Question on arenas and combat – with my Bow, can I shoot from one arena to another (assuming line of sight?). If so, I think I get the bonus if my victim is in an open area – not me…

      Also- do I need to worry about ammo or do I have virtually unlimited arrows?

    • FYI – Chris and I haven’t played anything like this before so have some patience as we get up to speed on rules/norms

      I don’t yet have a sense of how much action I should fit in a given “turn” of non combat…

      As far as arena’s go: can a character attack any enemy in the same arena with a non-ranged weapon? i.e. is the “move” action only used to transfer between arenas?

    • This isnt in the pdf, but could Wallace carry a whip? From the description I think that would a reach weapon with a +1 to armor.

      If thats the case, Then can wallace be wearing some fancy clothes to match his top hat in the picture? Being high society and all…

    • I am going to try to reply to everything in one comment, so as to not spam ya’ll. ^_^

      Note: I’ve been giving out the page number based on what my reader says, not what the page says as printed. So, subtract one was anything I say if that is how you are finding pages. ^_^

      I am just going to be plain in my answers, some of which may be curt or matter-of-fact. In my unique position as storyteller, what I narrate is actually the truth, and there is a lot to get through, so everyone please keep that in mind!

      Whispered up(?) to Max

      Max considered climbing the tree, but didn’t have time to before those kobolds started walking over. Max is in the same arena as you.

      Question to DM: could I get to the behind cart arena directly from
      here, or would I have to move through the rubble-filled road along the
      way?

      Unfortunately, the rubble-filled road is between your arena and the one you are trying to get to. You’ll have to pass through it.

      Question to other players: I am guessing that the way to get a free
      hit in is to let the two kobolds use their Move action to come into
      our cobbled road arena, while we pick Attack. Am I reading it wrong?

      Sorry for not providing more guidance, I am also feeling out everyone’s style of play as well. Anyhow, the surprise round has just started, and each person will say which action they are taking, from the six actions listed on page 15. After this round, the kobolds will be attacking as well.

      Question on arenas and combat – with my Bow, can I shoot from one
      arena to another (assuming line of sight?). If so, I think I get the
      bonus if my victim is in an open area – not me…

      You may shoot someone in your arena, or one adjacent to your arena. This is kinda complex, and I should have provided a diagram. The woods, cobbled road and rubble-filled road are adjacent to each other in a triangle. Behind the cart is adjacent to the rubble-filled road.

      The rules for arenas and weapons are on page 13.

      Note: There is no line of sight in this game. A couple of folks have brought it up, so I figured I would point that out. It is a bit more abstract than that.

      Also- do I need to worry about ammo or do I have virtually unlimited
      arrows?

      I am going to say we should keep track of them, but I am going to insist that I do so. At any time someone can ask how much ammo they have left, and I will warn at half and quarter left. I think that is a good compromise. Not too much micro-management, but enough to worry about prolonged battles. I doubt it will come up very often, and if I forget to tell you, all the better! ^_^

      Careful – looks like you’ll need to pass through the rubble filled
      road (with lots of Kobolds) to get to the back.

      The cart area is soaked in alcohol… anyone have some way of setting it on fire? Klaus – magic missile? We’d have to get you past the approaching Kobold pair first.

      I am fine having folks alternate between first and third person. We should probably use the em element to emphasize out of character comments. Also, I don’t personally mind meta-gaming, and if we were in person we would have a lot more of it, I am sure. I am looking into a plugin to make it easier to format the comments.

      Update: I added a plugin that uses Markdown, and shows a preview of your comment. If you don’t like it, tell me.

      Can that shot initiate combat?

      That is kind of a philosophical question. ^_^

      If you are wondering when a round ends, it is when everyone has told me what they are doing (or, if they are lagging, I guess), and I narrate the results. A couple of rounds of combat will make that clearer.

      FYI – Chris and I haven’t played anything like this before so have
      some patience as we get up to speed on rules/norms

      No problem, none of us have played in this exact format, I don’t think. There isn’t any real way to mess up, because we have a dedicated storyteller to figure out what is going on. ^_^

      I don’t yet have a sense of how much action I should fit in a given
      “turn” of non combat…

      Well, here is a way to think of it, I need to keep track of what everyone is doing at the same time, which means everything happens at the same time. So if one player says ey run forward, another says ey run forward and jump over a chasm, and yet another says ey run, jump and attack the nearest monster, I can only progress the game through the shortest action, which would be all three run forward.

      A good yard-stick to go by is the round of actions on page 15. Defending, shooting/attacking, focusing, impeding, moving and pushing/throwing all happen in one round. In the example above, running, jumping and then attacking would take three actions (and hence, rounds) to complete.

      Don’t worry too much about it though. Even if you go nuts describing a dozen actions, I am going to narrate at the pace dictated by the collective, and will try to incorporate what I can, based on my discretion.

      This isnt in the pdf, but could Wallace carry a whip? From the
      description I think that would a reach weapon with a +1 to armor.

      If thats the case, Then can wallace be wearing some fancy clothes to
      match his top hat in the picture? Being high society and all…

      Yuppers, Wallace has a whip, which is a reach weapon. May I presume that your clothes are equivalent to no armor?

      One last check: Lionel and Wallace shouldn’t know about the Kobold
      ahead but they’re acting like they do – that’s player knowledge, not
      character knowledge. Vek or Max would have to alert them first.

      Not sure what ya mean here. Wallace hadn’t posted yet, and Lionel is role-playing appropriately; maybe you missed it, but Lionel is convinced something else is happening. Also, Vekkary did alert them.

      Because of the delay between commenting and resolving a round, I will check for player versus character knowledge, and will narrate as appropriate. No one has to call it out unless I miss it and it is a problem. ^_^

      Sensing the approaching Kobolds (awareness?) Wallace slips into the
      shadows of trees over hanging the road (shadowkin).

      In RPGs like this, normally a character makes a roll before they produce results. I would have probably written this like: I make an awareness check for my surroundings. If someone is approaching, I make for the forest.

      Also, you didn’t need to sense it, Vekkary signaled to you that someone was approaching.

      • Awesome- thanks!

      • A couple more questions:

        Need I explicitly pick up all of my used arrows after a battle or is it implied that I run around a grab the ones that haven’t broken?

        Likewise, can I pick an arrow up mid combat if there’s a corpse with one sticking out of it, near me? Is that a ‘free’ action?

        What types of scenarios lead to a surprise round like the one we have right now? Anytime the enemy isn’t aware of us?

        • I am not going to make you do that, it sounds boring to go over all that stuff. ^_^

          If you are low on arrows and want to grab one in the middle of combat, they we do some kind of challenge (like Daring or Cunning), and then you have it. We don’t know if it is a free action, because we don’t know the context, it may be more complicated than that.

          The answer to the surprise round question is pretty simple, it is when the enemy is surprised. Same goes for you, if the enemy surprises you, they will get a surprise round. The best way to initiate a surprise round is by being attentive in-character, and pointing out your intent to ambush someone. However, it will probably not occur all the time, and the benefits of a surprise round aren’t so great that you need to tiptoe around.

          Heroes are generally pretty aggressive and flashy. ^_^

    • Dan (playing Vekkary) March 30, 2012 at @974

      A housekeeping note: I’m going to be out of town and most likely offline for a few days — possibly until Wednesday or Thursday.

      I’ve left some default actions towards the goal of rescuing the surviving guard, but if another character suggests alternate tactics to Vekkary, he’ll think that’s (ahem) Awesome and go along with it. (In case of conflicting suggestions, first to speak wins out.)

  2. Your party is standing there, in the middle of the road. Now would be an excellent time to figure out what you are doing.

    Everyone should take a moment to describe what they are doing, and/or conversing with other party members. ^_^

    • Lionel pulls out a copper disk with three lines on it from beneath his chain shirt. It is super shiny from being rubbed during meditations. He raises his plain wooden shield to cover his voice as he mutters something about “light and sight”. He uses his constant talent Auras of Evil and make an awareness check to see if this situation has a source of greater evil and where-from it emanates.

      Edited to be in the same “thread”.

    • Seeing Lionel begin a mystic incantation, Vekkary quickly darts out of the cleric’s line of sight! He advances to ready himself behind a sizable tree close to the turn of the road, beckoning to Max and Wallace.

    • Klaus being a scrawny kind of guy without a shield or plate mail gulps and shouts “Someone cover me!” and checks the scene for any kind of magic being used. He is curious about the two books and what kind of knowledge they may hold but knows that he must be patient.

      Using Veil Touch.

    • Before following Vekkary, Wallace scoops up a good third of the coins lying near the second book, quickly pocketing them as he scurries to the tree-line by the bend in the road.

      As soon as he reaches the next tree over from Vekkary he begins to climb, seeking the shadowy vantage of the branches above.

    • Max see Vekkary beckoning and scampers up the tree V. is using for cover. He perches on a low branch – close enough to hear V. and Wallace whisper but with hopefully enough height to get a decent vantage of road ahead.

    • Wallace looks below him to take in the scene below, and in so doing gets notified of subsequent actions via email…

  3. Lionel begins his chant, looking incredibly focused. Klaus causes everyone else to cringe as he shouts out, “someone cover me!” Hopefully no one heard his desperate cry.

    Completely ignoring Klaus’ plea, Vekkary and Max move into the woods, nearer to the bend in the road. Wallace, on the other hand, decides to act as loot wrangler, taking on that suspicious pile of coins, which he has not problem swiping a good third up before his attention goes back to the treeline, where Max is apparently considering scampering up.

    Vekkary and Max are able to discern through the less dense brush here the scene before them: a cart on its side, its contents strewn about on the road. No doubt about it, this was a merchant’s caravan! The various travelers accompanying those goods are either slain or in the process of becoming such. There appears to only be a single guard who is holding off an unseen attacker; they are both partially behind the cart from Vekkary and Max’s vantage point.

    However, there is a group of Kobolds, at least a dozen, rummaging through the goods! While all of them seem disinterested in the single survivor, and more attentive to the muddied bolts of silk and broken casks of ale staining the cobble, a couple at the edge of the group turn towards the bend in the road, sure they heard someone shout out something just now…

    Breakdown

    Lionel detects Auras of Evil. Result is d12 => 1. Lionel is overcome by a sense of dread, as this area seems to be flowing with demonic energy!

    Klaus uses Veil Touch. While this forest is rich with earth energy, there isn’t any particular magical aura present.

    There are four obvious arenas:

    • Evenly cobbled roadOpen area, where Lionel, Klaus and Wallace are.
    • WoodsTight space, with plenty of branches and roots to get in the way. Max and Vekkary are here.
    • Rubble-filled roadHazardous area, due to the contents of the cart being strewn about. Many Kobolds are hanging out here.
    • Behind cartUnknown area, but some of your can see the guard barely holding eir own, being pushed back and then dashing forward, out of site.

    Combat appears eminent, as a couple of Kobolds are about to round the bend, and only Max and Vekkary know this. Everyone’s next actions should be a free action (drawing weapons, shouting at each other, etc.). Here is a tip: it is possible to get a surprise round in before the enemy could respond, if you plan it right. ^_^

    • Flail!

      Lionel whips out his flail, his eyes widen.
      He speaks to Klaus.
      “Stand by my shield. Odorus filth of the underworld are upon us!”

    • Waving back to the trio on the road:

      “Jazz hands” in front of alarmed face.
      Two fingers held up.
      Hand held flat at waist height.
      Finger pointing to bend in road, then tracing back to Wallace.
      Hand beckoning them forward.

      Whispered up(?) to Max: “That guard could use help, and our three can handle two kobolds. Once they engage, I’m going around the cart.”

      Question to DM: could I get to the behind cart arena directly from here, or would I have to move through the rubble-filled road along the way?

      Question to other players: I am guessing that the way to get a free hit in is to let the two kobolds use their Move action to come into our cobbled road arena, while we pick Attack. Am I reading it wrong?

      • Careful – looks like you’ll need to pass through the rubble filled road (with lots of Kobolds) to get to the back.

        The cart area is soaked in alcohol… anyone have some way of setting it on fire? Klaus – magic missile? We’d have to get you past the approaching Kobold pair first.

        If possible, Max shoots an arrow at the nearest of the pair, starting combat. Am I the only one with a ranged attack? Can that shot initiate combat? Also- that’ll hopefully serve as a warning to the three of our party on the open road, if they’ve yet to notice the advancing menace.

      • Vek – I think the surprise attack is you using Charger.

        It allows you to move and attack in the same turn – move back to the road and then attack the kobold.

        That sound right?

        • Oh, Charger will definitely be seeing use here soon — but that’s just one free hit from me. I think we can arrange for the entire party to get in surprise strikes, as long as no one jumps the gun.

      • One last check: Lionel and Wallace shouldn’t know about the Kobold ahead but they’re acting like they do – that’s player knowledge, not character knowledge. Vek or Max would have to alert them first.

        • Well, Lionel did get a nasty read off his Auras check, and Klaus is standing right next to him. It’s only Wallace who needs to get the warning from Vek’s mime or hearing Lionel talk to Klaus.

    • Sensing the approaching Kobolds (awareness?) Wallace slips into the shadows of trees over hanging the road (shadowkin).

  4. Vekkary signals to Lionel, Klaus and Wallace on the road. Expecting trouble, Lionel readies his flail and shield. Klaus is happy to see this, and promptly ducks behind Lionel, trying to peek over his shoulder without being seen.

    Wallace sees the hand signals and quickly ducks into the woods, using the brush and what little shadow there is to try to conceal himself.

    Vekkary returns to scanning the area, looking for the quickest route to help the guard, hoping to use the element of surprise to his advantage.

    Max quietly draws his bow back, aiming an arrow at the nearest of the kobolds as they round the bend.

    When the two small canine-like creatures turn the corner they are visibly surprised to see a single armored human standing in the middle of the road. “Trying to get away? Die, instead!”, one of them snarls. They begin running towards Lionel.

    Vekkary and Max notice that only a couple more kobolds noticed the pair run off, but they soon turn back to their looting; camaraderie doesn’t seem to be a strength of theirs.

    Combat has started. Please reply with the action you taking for this surprise round of combat (meaning the other side won’t get to take any actions this turn).

    • To Max: You’re right, I can’t get to him. Let’s take these two down fast.

      As the kobolds rush Lionel, Vekkary moves to attack the one in the rear, cutting them off from the main group.

      Using Charger.

      (will try to remember italics for out-of-character! Sorry.)

    • Max fires his arrow at the nearer Kobold.

    • “Your shadowy guise is no match for the light of Desol imp!”

      Lionel swings his flail at the closest kobold.

    • Klaus is thankful to be shielded and whispers his gratitude to Lionel. Resolved to be of some use Klaus clutches his book of knowledge ready to hit the attacking kobold.

      Edited to correct thread.

      • Hit the Kobold with your book? Would that count as a light weapon?

        Max tries to utter something witty but his -1 charisma isn’t helping.

        “Wait, wait, I have something for this… um… looks like he really hit the books … Uhhh good job throwing the book at him

        • Relevant question- is it possible to lose Awesome Points by being incredibly lame?

          • Hit the Kobold with your book? Would that count as a light weapon?

            Yup. Also, it is magical. Doesn’t give it any bonus, but definitely makes it durable.

            Relevant question- is it possible to lose Awesome Points by being incredibly lame?

            Not really. I think mockery is probably the worst that can happen. ^_^

      • “I guess Knowledge really is power!” Max says with a grin, radiating pride, raising his eyebrows, and looking around for validation.

  5. Wallace whips the nearest Kobold.

    • I must have misunderstood what you were describing, I had assumed that you had moved into the woods. If that is not the case, then when you reply to the next rounds please specify which arena you are in.

      And to everyone, I will normally progress the game forward a turn in the morning, unless hardly anyone acted, or if something special is going on. Once I start typing the round results, I don’t read comments until I am done. ^_^

      • Apologies. I thought I hadn’t responded in this round.As for my location, I was hoping to slip into the shadows while remaining on the path (I didn’t think the whip would reach from the woods?)

        • You hadn’t responded, but I was writing the results when you commented, so it was voided. ^_^

          There are no shadows or dark places nearby. And you are correct, the whip wouldn’t reach from the woods.

          You are on the cobbled road with Klaus, Lionel and Vekkary. Six kobolds are coming to assist you with road-side slaughter. Comment below to say what you will be doing. ^_^

  6. Max looses an arrow at a kobold. It misses, the missile whizzing past eir head. It turns to see where the arrow came from, eir eyes going wide as e sees Vekkary charging out of the woods, staff mid-swing. The attack connects, and Vekkary feels the cracking of bones reverberate through his staff, just before the kobold crumples to the ground.

    The other kobold doesn’t have time to register what is happening to its companion, as Lionel steps forward and swings the flail down at the tiny creature. Deftly dodging to the side, the kobold is completely surprised to see a reinforced book coming down on eir head. There is a disgusting squish sound, and as Klaus steps back it is apparent that the kobold is about 4 inches shorter, eir ears touching eir shoulders. It falls back heavily.

    Everyone hears a battle cry go up as the other kobolds hear the commotion. The party sees half a dozen of them begin pouring around the bend. Max sees four of them stayed behind, and are making their way through the wreckage to join their comrades.

    Results

    • Max: (2d10+2) : [5 + 1 + 2] = 8
    • Vekkary: (2d10+2) : [7 + 1 + 2] = 10
    • Lionel: (2d10) : [1 + 2] = 3
    • Klaus: (3d10h2) : [(9,8,3)h2] = 17
    • Wallace: Hidden

    Enemy actions

    Six kobolds are moving into the evenly cobbles road area. Four are defending in the rubble-strewn area.

    What do you do?

    Note: I’ve added another track at the bottom of the blog post, for battle music. ^_^

    • Klaus is quite please with himself by effectively smashing that kobold but knows there are still many more approaching. “Need to defend as best as I can” he says to himself.

      Spending three awesome points and casting Sleep.

    • Max ready and aims- he plans to shoot whatever kobold on the cobble path remain standing after the others attack

  7. Lionel staggers forward with his having swung madly at thin air. He looks down at the pressed kobold. “Oh gods!” He lifts his shield arm and marks the wizards position, attempting to protect Klaus by keeping between the smell of onions and the incorrectly classified “demons”.

    Vekkary gets an awesome point for the first kill! Klaus gets an awesome point for squashing a kobold with his manuscript!

  8. Lionel recovers from his wild and holy swing-and-a-miss, and raises his shield, interposing himself between the incoming kobolds and Klaus.

    Max readies another arrow, waiting for the rest of the party to make quick work of these enemies, picking off any stragglers they haven’t gotten to.

    Klaus suddenly raises his voice, but rather than a desperate shout, a melodic tune projects from beneath his bandaged face. Light at first, soon it increases in volume, though always seeming to stay relaxing and ethereal…

    The kobolds suddenly make the area feel very crowded! Vekkary sees his chance, and tries to charge past them, swinging his bone-cracker menacingly in the air! Unfortunately, they see this a target, and he is unable to get past them. One of the kobolds immediately regrets trying to get in his way, as Vekkary uses his momentum to jab em in the stomach. E falls over, dead or with a severe tummy ache.

    Wallace surprises yet another kobold, as his whip wraps tightly around eir throat. A quick yank and a satisfying snap, Wallace unfurls his whip from the lifeless figure, looking up to see an arrow appear in the throat of another kobold. Max makes a mental note to clean that arrow before returning it to the quiver. Klaus’s song reaches a long deep note, and the kobolds stop in their tracks.

    The one nearest Lionel cumples to the ground. The other two look wide-eyed at the pile of bodies surrounding them. They hunker down near each other; one of them sneezes and wipes eir eyes.

    Results

    • Vekkary *daring* to **charge** past enemies (d12+2) : [6 + 2] = 8, versus (d12) : [10] = 10; then attacking (2d10+2) : [7 + 5 + 2] = 14.
    • Wallace *attacking* with his whip: (2d10) : [4 + 9] = 13.
    • Max *shooting* an arrow: (2d10+2) : [6 + 9 + 2] = 17.
    • Klaus casting a *charming\* **|sleep** spell: (d12+3) : [4 + 3] = 7, against the kobolds *commitment* to keep fighting: (d12) : [3] = 3, (d12) : [12] = 12, and (d12) : [11] = 11.

    Enemy actions

    The two kobolds left over from the party’s aggression are defending.

    Max can see that the other four kobolds around the corner heard some of the distinct kobold cries, and are still defending.

    Everyone hears a non-kobold scream, and the sound of armor crumpling in place. A high-pitched howl immediately follows, and then snarling, like a blood-thirsty hound…

    What do you do?

    • Lionel attacks a kobold with his flail.

      “Okay, I can do this. Plant feet, raise weapon and swing!”

    • Klaus attacks a kobold with a swing of his book. “This trusty tome has proven itself useful” he thinks to himself.

      Awards Lionel an awesome point for initially shielding him.

    • Wallace attacks a Kobold =, hoping the whip can keep them at bay…

    • Randy / Max April 1, 2012 at @945

      Max trusts the rest of his party to handle the kobold on the road. He fires an arrow at one of the kobold by the cart.

      repost

    • Heya folks. I am feeling a bit under the weather. I can’t muster the energy that I like to bring in describing the resolutions, so it will be delayed for a bit. I know what Vekkary is doing, so no one except me is holding it up.

      Take this opportunity to read up on what you can do with all those cool Awesome Points folks are getting. ^_^

  9. Max trusts the rest of his party to handle the kobold on the road. He fires an arrow at one of the kobold by the cart.

  10. Max misses a kobold as it hunkers behind its small shield. All four of them turn towards the woods to look for the archer. They don’t expect to see Vekkary come running around the bend, rushing into the closest one, taking it down soundly.

    One kobold let’s out an ear shattering scream as Lioenl’s flail rips down into its shoulder, nearly taking off its shoulder. Great evil has been critically smote this day!

    The kobold standing nearby turns to see Klaus step up and lay some knowledge in a most death-ifying manner, the result of which is yet another squashed foe.

    Vekkary looks to see if the guard is alive, just in time to jump back away from a jar of burning oil! Unfortunately, he isn’t able to completely dodge it, and is burned, as well as catching fire in a most unflattering way.


    I posted the results on a StatusNet account I made, so you can follow it if that is your thing. Results are at http://figment.interi.org/conversation/33#notice-33.

    Vekkary, you are on fire. You take one damage initially, and will continue to each round unless you spend a round focusing on being less on fire.

    Wallace, I handle initiative in the order folks post, hence why you didn’t get to attack. In the future I will make the enemies more difficult, so your assistance is required. In the meantime, at least you aren’t on fire! ^_^

    New combat round, what do you do?

    • I am on fire! I gave Vekkary two chances, vs. either Daring or Commitment, to use his burning self as an offensive hazard. Rolled 2 (+2=4) and 3 (-2=1) respectively.

      “Aaaaaa fire! Watch out!!”

      Vekkary takes a Focused Action to stop, drop, and roll. Will he get to observe his surroundings at all in the process?

    • Randy / Max April 5, 2012 at @315

      “Careful where you roll,” Max yells, “There’s ale spilled everywhere, though I’m not sure if it’s high enough proof to catch fire.”

      If it can catch fire, perhaps it spreads to the Kobold standing around?

      Max holds and aims as he observers the scene by the cart.

      If any Kobold move to attack Vek mid ‘stop-drop-and roll’, Max will loose his arrow at the attacker.

      If Vek remains free from attack then… if Kobold have moved into the forest, Max aims at them, else Max attacks a Kobold by the cart.

    • From now on I will post enemy positions. There are three defending kobolds in the rubble arena, and an unknown aggressor behind the cart. In order to engage in non-projectile combat, you will be required to move to the rubble arena.

      Just run towards the beacon that is Torch de Vekkary. ^_^

  11. Wallace is starting to get angry. He isn’t particularly fond of the smell of burning flesh. He takes it out on the nearest remaining kobold and attacks.

    • Should have clarified, there are no active kobolds in your arena. There is one sleeping. Will you attack it? Or take a different action, such as moving?

  12. Max takes aim while Vekkary goes about de-flaming himself.

    Lionel and Wallace arrive in the rubble-strewn area, which would have been named differently had someone realize how often it would be referenced.

    Max decides to take out one of the kobolds near Vekkary, easily piercing eir puny armor, knocking em off eir feet.

    Meanwhile, Klaus is deciding how to best approach the situation, adrenaline pumping, with companions running around the bend in the road.


    Results are at http://figment.interi.org/conversation/60.

    Lionel, Vekkary and Wallace are standing at the ready in the rubble-strewn part of the road, as well as two kobolds.

    Max is in the woods.

    Klaus is on the open road.

    The two remaining kobolds look at each other, and flee. They are moving further down the road, away from the party.

    Suddenly, the cart burst into flames, a similar type of explosion as the burning oil that had been thrown at Vekkary.

    What do you do?

  13. Wallace hurriedly looks through the wreckage for any interesting artifacts before the whole area is consumed in flames…

  14. Vekkary had the right idea, the fire had been cover for the escape of whatever it was that had taken out the guard. As the party rushes around the fire, they see that the enemy has completely retreated. There are tracks, but the enemy themselves are nowhere to be seen.

    The guard is breathing heavily, though with each exhale it comes out weaker, and with more blood dripping from eir lips.

    Klaus apprehends the sleeping kobold.


    Chapter 1 is concluded.

    Also, I am calling game. Its been fun, but my experiment has reached a conclusion, I don’t like this format of play (comments), nor do I enjoy this game system (Old School Hack).

    Perhaps we can revive these characters in a different format or something, but for right now this game has concluded. Congratulations! You receive 2 Awesome Points for playing in this chapter (in addition to any you may have received as part of the game)! ^_^

    • Thanks for running the scene! I had fun, and I’d certainly be interested in any post-mortem you might write up on either the medium or the system.

  15. Lionel spends five awesome points and morphs into his true form! The fifty foot chainmailed mecha points down the road to the tower with his flail the size of an eighteen wheeled hay wagon.

    “Onward O faithful of Desol! May we topple this Tower of Shadows with great haste!”

    He looks to the specks of kobold at the foot of his gigantic armor.

    “We can return for the demons another time.”

    Slowly launching skyward, Lioneltron disappears into a twinkle on the horizon. The chem-trail left behind the huge robot’s feet transformed from steel grey to a rosy pink. As the light began to fade from the world, so passes Lionel, priest of Desol.

    The whole picture now resembles a supreme being who is fucking around with his thumb flavored bubble gum.

    Waterballoon.

    • That is a cool project. However, the point of this game was to not be in realtime. We could easily have used Gametable or RPTools, both of which I’ve used to run games.

      At this time I am not interested in coordinating an online game. I would rather use that effort to coordinate an in-person game, but I am not into that right now.

Leave a Reply

*

Text formatting is available via select HTML.

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>